About Me

Wife, Physical Therapist turned stay-at-home SMA mom, and Independent Wellness Advocate for essential oils. I'm Meredith and this is the journey of our beautiful life! I am Mom to our sweet Leo, who was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) at 3 wks of age. SMA is a terminal, neuromuscular genetic disease. Our life is not what we "planned", and it can certainly bring many tears at times, but Leo shines a light brighter than we could have ever imagined. His love and joy has changed our lives, and we are forever grateful for our greatest blessing. He is medically fragile and requires 24/7 skilled care, but to us he is perfection. He is part of a greater plan we are just beginning to get a glimpse of. We live life embracing every moment, and doing everything we can to give Leo every experience possible all while praising God for our MANY blessings.

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Leo's First Race !

What a great weekend!! Leo ran a 4 miler, got to spend time with family and played in the pool!
Running in the Born in the U.S.A 4 miler was a pretty emotional triumph for me, but not for the distance, time or even finishing. I used to love running, and I would sign up for races here and there because I enjoyed running, the competition and supporting a good cause. After experiencing a miscarriage with our first pregnancy, I was advised to take it a little easier when pregnant with Leo. I knew when our baby arrived I would start running again and we would do races together. It was one of the “normal” fun things I had planned on us doing.
Then our world was turned upside down. So many things we had “planned” on doing were gone. But like these things, with time, we slowly found new ways to do them that fit Leo. Leo LOVES being outside and strolling through the park. He also loves when we are running! That is all the motivation I need! We signed up for the race, and Leo had a blast! He loved seeing all the other people running, and he would have kept on going! I am so proud of how great he did!
I would be lying if I said there are not moments where we have to say, Leo will not be able to do that. Sometimes for one reason or another, it is just not physically possible. SMA can be a debilitating monster at times. But crossing that finish line was a moment of “nothing will stop Leo”. Nothing in this world will ever hold him back.
We hope everyone had a July 4th great weekend !




No comments:

Post a Comment