About Me

Wife, Physical Therapist turned stay-at-home SMA mom, and Independent Wellness Advocate for essential oils. I'm Meredith and this is the journey of our beautiful life! I am Mom to our sweet Leo, who was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) at 3 wks of age. SMA is a terminal, neuromuscular genetic disease. Our life is not what we "planned", and it can certainly bring many tears at times, but Leo shines a light brighter than we could have ever imagined. His love and joy has changed our lives, and we are forever grateful for our greatest blessing. He is medically fragile and requires 24/7 skilled care, but to us he is perfection. He is part of a greater plan we are just beginning to get a glimpse of. We live life embracing every moment, and doing everything we can to give Leo every experience possible all while praising God for our MANY blessings.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Oil'n for Energy !

I have been wanting to share a little more info for those of you that have expressed interest on how we use oils. Since using these oils and products, I have discovered new energy levels that make my days that much more fulfilling. As I am sure many of you can relate, sleep is not always the priority. And even when it is, that doesn't mean you will get the sleep you need!


A good night for me is 3 consecutive hours of sleeps. Thankfully, "typically" Leo will go back to sleep fairly well on his own after repositioning, suctioning, or doing whatever he needs. I am so grateful that I usually fall back asleep as well! (another post on oils and sleep will have to come!) Eating well, and exercise are a must for energy. For me, a nap typically makes me more tired. I gain much more emotionally and physically from using that time doing something active, but sometimes that is not an option, and I was still feeling fatigued. Enter essential oils and supplements!

I started drinking a metabolic blend of essential oils that includes grapefruit, cinnamon, lemon, ginger and peppermint. I drink this first thing in the morning. I also started drinking more water and adding a drop or two of lemon with every glass. Doing this alone I began to notice a difference. I had much more consistent energy.

I love to add a few drops of peppermint and wild orange in the shower in the mornings. I just let it get a little steamy and then pour the drops on the floor. It is so refreshing and uplifting! I also love to diffuse oils. I use the time while Leo is napping to try to get a few things done around the house, making phone calls regarding Leo, and I also inevitably end up on the computer working on something.  The computer drains me. Phone calls with the insurance company are also draining and can push making one to go into hysterics, but they are necessary. Things like this could really negatively impact my day if I let it. So I began to diffuse different oils while I am trying to get things done. It is amazing the difference this makes. It makes me feel productive, not drained! I love citrus oils, orange, lemon and citrus bliss are a few of my favorites. I also love to add a little peppermint sometimes.

I love to keep peppermint on me at all times now. I will place a few drops under my tongue, add a little topically or inhale the aroma. It is a great instant energy booster. A drop or two of peppermint and orange can go a long ways!

The next thing I added was taking supplements every day. I have never been great at taking supplements (besides the time I was pregnant with Leo). I would try to "commit" to taking something and would never really became a part of my daily routine. The oil kit I purchased included their supplement pack which happens to be their best seller. Among many things they contain some of natures most powerful antioxidants and 9 different essential oils, Frankincense, thyme, cumin, orange, peppermint, German chamomile and clove.


I was really excited about trying the supplements and it quickly became a part of my routine. Now I was really seeing a difference. I used to drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day. Two in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. I was never "trying" to cut back on coffee, but one day realized I am only drinking one cup in the morning (which I will never give up). I am not saying drinking coffee is bad, it is just nice to not even have the thought "I need some coffee". I also still have may days when I want my coffee, but in general, caffeine in the afternoon is not a must or even a thought.

I am forever the skeptic, and a huge believer in the power of the placebo effect, so I am constantly running my own little "trials" with new products. I ran out of my supplements, and decided I would wait a week before I decided if I would make them a part of my next order. Well oh my goodness, I should not have done that. I could tell immediately. This is actually what inspired this post. I could not believe the impact these supplements had made on my days! I really just felt like I needed to share this because I know so many of us could us a little more energy.

Another very important part of knowing and balancing my energy levels I have learned from Leo. He works so very hard every single day. At times, he doesn't have the strength and energy to catch his breath, and has to be put on his vent. Energy for him is limited. This has taught me to view my energy the same way. It helps me not waste my energy on things that really don't matter. There is just
no point it doing that! No one benefits.

Now, if we can only have more hours in the day! They are filled with joy, and they
go by way too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment